Black Pepper and Coconut Chicken Curry
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1″ ginger, minced
- 2 cooking onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 to 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2+1 dry, red chilies
- 3 pods of cloves
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Coconut oil
- In a wok, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add mustard seeds. As the mustard seeds start to
sputter, add asafoetida, 2 dry red chilies, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
- Add chopped onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add all the dry spice powders except garam masala. Mix well.
- Add boneless chicken breast pieces, some salt and mix well. Add water or chicken stock
if required. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add coconut cream, garam masala, cardamom powder, and
curry leaves. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes on low heat.
- Temper with coconut oil, red chili, and curry leaves. Serve hot.