- 3 medium purple beets
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cups of shredded red or green cabbage
- 4 cups of beef or vegetable broth, or water
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup of diced kielbasa sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped sauerkraut
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill, divided
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Note: To make this soup vegetarian, omit the kielbasa and use vegetable broth or water.
- Trim the ends of the beets and peel with a vegetable peeler. Grate the beets using a box grater or food processor. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or small stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until light golden. Add the garlic, caraway seeds and cabbage and cook stirring constantly until the cabbage starts to soften.
- Add the broth (or water), tomato juice, beets, carrots and sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beets and carrots are tender. Add the sauerkraut.
- Add half of the dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste and summer a further 3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and remaining fresh dill.