Fall Vegetable Crostini with Kale Pesto
6 to 8
- 1 bunch of black kale, washed and torn into small pieces
- >2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced roasted squash (such as butternut, kabocha etc.)
- freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- 3 ciabatta rolls thinly sliced
- ¼-1/3 c. olive oil for brushing
- 1 bunch of sage, chopped
- good quality balsamic vinegar for garnish
- shaved Parmesan for garnish
- To make the pesto, combine the kale and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. With the machine running, drizzle in the oil.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the cheese by hand. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over low heat until soft and deep golden brown. Add the squash and toss to combine. Season to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Brush the ciabatta with olive oil. Spread the ciabatta on a large baking sheet. Bake in oven until crisp and light golden.
- Spread each slice of ciabatta with pesto, top with the squash mixture. Sprinkle with sage, drizzle with vinegar and top with cheese. Serve immediately.