Fennel, Beet, and Orange Salad
- 2 bulbs fennel
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 200g (7oz) goat feta
- 2 small oranges, zested, peeled and sliced or segmented – reserve juice
- 2 small beets, roasted fennel (recipe follows)
- ½ bunch parsley or mint
For the dressing:
- 1 ½ teaspoons white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Reserved orange juice
- salt and pepper
- Lightly toast fennel seeds in a pan and lightly crush. In a large bowl, combine fennel seeds, vinegar, oil, honey, salt, mustard & reserved juice. Taste for seasoning.
- Trim the fennel bulbs, reserving any of the little feathery fronds, and remove any tough outer leaves. Quarter the bulbs and cut out the central core. Finely slice the fennel, lengthways, and toss it into the bowl containing the dressing. Add the onion, orange slices and mint or parsley.
- Spread the salad on a platter and top with sliced beets, cheese, and reserved fennel fronds.