Gajar Ka Halwa & Thanksgiving leftover Pulao
- 3 lbs carrots: shredded
- Onions: 2
- Tomatoes – 3 to 4 medium
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves or 1 tsp crushed
- Ginger: small chunk crushed or chopped
- Green beans
- Brussel sprouts
- Nutrela Soya Chunks (Vegan meat substitute) **can add turkey/ tofu/paneer or any protein
- Sweet potato
- Ghee: ½ cup
- Evaporated milk : 1 can
- Condensed milk: 1 can
Pantry & Spices
- ¼ cup & 1 tbsp of cashews
- ¼ cup of almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- ¼ pistachios
- 1tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 cardamom stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Black pepper
- Turmeric : 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
Gajar (Carrot) Ka Halwa
- In a non-stick large pan at medium flame add ghee and let it get a little bit warm, after a couple of minutes add shredded carrots in the pan.
- Keep mixing and keep cooking the carrot for 5 to 6 mins.
- Add evaporated milk and let it cook for another 6 to 8 mins.
- Once milk is a little bit evaporated, add condensed milk and mix all together. Cook for another 3 to 4 mins.
- Add the roasted and chopped nuts and mix all together for the next 5 to 6 mins.
- Serve it hot or cold!
Indian Pulao with thanksgiving leftovers (mostly veggies)
- In a sauce or stock pot add 4 times water than the rice amount, add rice (soaked in water for 15 mins & washed), a stick of cinnamon, bay leaves, and 1 cardamom and 1 star anise and let it come to a boil.
- SOYA Chunks: In another small saucepan boil 2 cups of water and add 1 cup of soya chunks with salt and boil for 3 to 4 mins. Once softened, strain and run through cold water for a minute. Squeeze all the water from soy chunks and put it aside. \
- Let rice boil for 13 to 15 mins until they are cooked and soft. Turn off the stove and strain through a strainer.
- In a large fry pan or sautee pan add oil and heat it up, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Add onions, crushed garlic & ginger.
- Sautee until onions are translucent, add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and chili powder and cook for another 4 to 5 mins at medium flame.
- Once tomatoes are softened. Add some cashews and chopped leftover veggies, preferred protein choice and mix it all together, cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Add some sugar(optional), cooked rice and mix all. Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Squeeze half lemon OR add some leftover cranberry sauce to balance out the sweetness, mix and serve garnished cilantro. Enjoy!
Note: Just a suggestion if there are brussel sprouts, you can bake more in the oven until more crisp and add on the top of the rice.