Ginger BBQ Chicken w/ a Saffron Yogurt Dip
For the Chicken
- Chicken thighs or breast – skin on
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Oil for searing
For the sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2-4 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Simmer & Spice Ing Bah Ginger Powder
- ½” piece grated ginger
- 2 sprigs green onion, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
For the Saffron Yogurt Dip
- 2 cups Icelandic or Greek yoghurt
- 4 tbsp Condensed milk
- A pinch of saffron
- ¼ tsp cardamom, ground
- 1 tbsp rose water (optional)
- 2 tbsp toasted pistachios for garnish
- Rose petals for garnish (optional)
Ankita Vaidya | Simmer & Spice | www.simmerandspice.ca | Instagram @simmer.spice | Email email@example.com
For the Chicken
1. To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk well together, transfer into a
jar and store in the fridge for up to 1 month
2. Cut chicken into desired sized pieces. And rub salt and pepper on it.
3. In a heavy bottom pan, add some cooking oil. Get the pan very very hot and then gently put the chicken pieces on SKIN SIDE DOWN. Get a gorgeous sear on that side first. Then flip the chicken and cook in an oven at 375°F for about 15 minutes.
4. Take it out of the oven, add minced garlic and mix well.
5. Brush some prepared bbq sauce over it. May be even add a little extra into the pan.
6. Put the pan back on the stove on medium-low heat and baste chicken pieces with the sauce. As the sauce cooks it will get sticky. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Then serve with some garnishes like green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy while it’s hot!
Tip: You may add sriracha or any other hot sauce provided you enjoy the heat.
Saffron Yogurt Dip
1. Grind a pinch of saffron in a mortar pestle. Then add lukewarm water to it and set aside for min 20 min.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients (except pistachios) in a bowl and whisk well.
3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the dip is evenly flavoured.
4. Garnish with roasted, chopped pistachios and some rose petals.
5. Serve alongside skewered fruits like cantaloupe, grapes, pineapple, strawberry, honeydew, etc