Lemony Garlicky Eggplant Dip
Makes 2 cups
- 2 eggplants
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3-4 Tablespoons (45-60 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup (60 mL) Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 Cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup (60 mL) freshly chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro
- Turn on your oven to ‘broil’, set the heat to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Poke the eggplants in several spots with a sharp knife. Place the eggplants on the baking sheets and pop into the hot oven. Let them broil for about 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn the eggplants over so the skin on the other side broils as well.
- After another 5 minutes, turn ‘broil’ off and turn to regular heat, still set at 400 degrees. Let eggplants bake for about 20 -25 minutes, or until they are pierced easily with a knife.
- Remove from oven, let cool for several minutes.
- Place garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and olive oil into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Scoop the baked eggplant out of its skin, and place the eggplant into the bowl of the food processor as well. Pulse until smooth. Add more olive oil if a smoother, looser consistency is desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve as a dip with pita bread, pita chips, and/or fresh vegetables.