Not to be Beat, Beetroot Coleslaw
- ½ small green or red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 medium beetroot
- 1 small (or ½ med) red onion
- 1 small red chilli pepper or medium jalapeno pepper
- 6 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 3-4 Tbsp lemon juice (approximately one lemon)
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- season to taste salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the cabbage
- Wash and prepare the vegetables. Peel carrots and beetroots or simply scrub clean and trim as needed. Use a grater to shred the beetroot and carrot.
Note: The beetroot can seep out juice and stain hands/worktops. You may want to use wear gloves to protect your hands from staining.
- Prepare remaining fresh ingredients: finely slice or chop the onion; deseed and finely chop the red chilli pepper. Scatter ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss.
- Prepare the dressing: combine liquid ingredients, including the olive oil, mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let coleslaw rest for a minimum of ½ hour before serving.
Place thinly sliced vegetables in a large bowl. Be sure the bowl has a lid to cover for marinating. In a large saucepan, bring dressing ingredients to a boil. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir well to coat evenly. COVER immediately and allow to reach room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and serve.