Phyllo Asparagus and Goat Cheese Bundles
Makes 18 pieces
- 18 spears of local asparagus
- 3 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 3 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- 9 tbsp soft local goat’s milk cheese
- 6 very thin slices of domestic prosciutto
- If you are not able to find prosciutto, you can substitute thin slices of smoked Black Forest-style ham.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Blanch the asparagus for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo pastry on a clean dry surface, the short end closest to you.
- Burch the sheet of phyllo pastry lightly with melted butter or olive oil.
- Carefully fold in half (the folded side will be toward you).
- Using clean kitchen scissors, cut into 6 strips.
- Repeat with other pieces of phyllo. Stack the strips on top of each other to prevent them from drying out.
- Cut the prosciutto pieces lengthwise into three pieces.
- Gently spread 1/2 tbsp of the goat’s milk cheese on one strip of phyllo.
- Place a piece of the prosciutto on top of the cheese.
- Place a piece of blanched asparagus on the bottom end of the pastry on a slight angle and roll up around the asparagus (the pastry will cover all of the asparagus but the tip).
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have 18 pieces. Brush each with any remaining butter.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry us golden. Serve immediately.