Spiralized Summer Squash Salad with Kale Pesto
- ½ lb. long pasta such as spaghetti
- 1 cup of kale pesto (recipe follows)
- 2 cups of spiralized or julienned zucchini and/or summer squash
- 2 cups of spiralized or julienned carrots
- zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ c. grated Romano cheese
- ¼ c. toasted chopped walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c. toasted walnuts
- 3 cups of washed chopped kale
- 1/3 c. parsley
- 1/2 c. grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add 2 tsp. salt.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and place in a shallow bowl, along with the pesto, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
- Let cool. Add spiralized vegetables and cheese and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped walnuts and serve.
*Note can be refrigerated before serving.
- Combine the garlic and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Add the kale, parsley and Romano. Pulse until combined.
- With the machine running, add the oil and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.