Weeknight Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp flavourless oil (canola or grapeseed)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1 slice of ginger, 1/2 inch think
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, trimmed and bruised
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, split in two
- 1 medium shallot (or cooking onion), split in two
- 1 L chicken stock
- Rice vermicelli noodles, cooked according to package
- Cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- Hard boiled eggs
- Bean sprouts
- Celery leaves
- Fried shallots
- Green onion, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Red chile, thinly sliced
- Sambal Oelek
- In a large pot or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Gently toast your ground spices over the heat until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic, and shallot, and toss. Add chicken stock, bring to a gently simmer, cover and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare noodles according to package and assemble your chosen accoutrements.
- After 30 minutes, taste your soup and season, if necessary. Discard ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic, and shallot.
- Place your noodles and chicken in deep soup bowl. Pour hot stock over noodles. Top with your preferred accoutrements.