Zesty Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 – 19 oz. (540 ml) tin black beans, rinsed very well and drained
- 1 – 19 oz. (540 ml) tin chick peas rinsed and drained
- 2 small sweet potatoes cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 cup of blanched green beans cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths
- 2 cups of cooked corn
- 1/2 small red or sweet white onion diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 c. (250 ml) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 tbsp. (75 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo
- 5 tbsp. (50 ml) olive oil or canola oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Place on a baking tray. Roast in a 400F oven for about 12 – 15 minutes until light golden and tender.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, sweet potato, green beans, corn, onion, pepper, parsley, cilantro and tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar , chipotle, oil and honey. Whisk until combined. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the bean salad and stir to combine.
- Add more vinegar if necessary and salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro (if using) and toss again.
- Transfer to an attractive bowl and serve.
* for a “flexitarian” version, serve half of the salad as per above vegetarian version. Take the other half of the salad and add 2 cups (500 ml) of cooked, chopped barbecued chicken.