African Scotch Eggs
- 6 boil eggs
- ¼ cup Luke warm water
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- 1/3 cup Whole milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper.
- 2 oz. unsalted butter margarine
- Oil for deep-frying
Melanie Amadasun Owner/ Head Chef (F.A.M. Sauces & Catering) Direct Line: (647) 819-9428 Email: email@example.com Facebook: @famsauces Instagram: fam_sauces_catering Instagram: melanie.amadasun LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/melanieamadasun
- In a medium bowl add the warm water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Then add milk, sugar, and salt
- Using a stand mixer or by hand, mix the flour, garlic powder, white pepper and paprika
- Then add butter, mix well until the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until it is smooth.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Roll out dough about 1 inch thick.
- Using a large mouth, glass or bowl about 4 – 5 ” cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the scotch egg dough. Continue cutting out dough until all dough has been cut- six pieces.
- Gently wrap the dough around the egg as evenly as possible, pinch the bottom, making sure there are no cracks or opening.
- Repeat the process. Set aside the egg roll.
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat up a medium skillet or cast iron with oil up to 2 inch- medium-high heat 350 degrees F. until hot but not smoking.
- Gently drop the scotch egg with a spoon preferably and fry in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will absorb excess oil, resulting in a soggy fish pies)
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the Scotch egg and place them on paper towels.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with FAM Hot Sauce