Asparagus Potato Salad with Tangy Apple Mustard Dressing
- 1 lb. New baby potatoes
- 1 lb. Ontario Asparagus
- 1/2 Red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Chicken or Vegi broth (low fat, low sodium)
- 2 tsp White wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tsp “Savvy Chef” Tangy apple mustard
- 2 tsp ea. Fresh parsley & thyme (chopped fine)
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Bacon bits (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Kosher Salt
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat andsimmer for 10-15 minutes until just fork tender (don’t over-cook). Drain and cut into 1/4’s. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
- While potatoes are cooking, Steam or blanch asparagus for 2-3 minutes only. Drain and cool rapidly incold water – you still want the asparagus to be a bit on the crunchy side. Cut into 1” pieces and set asideto dry.
- While potatoes and asparagus are cooling, in a small bowl whisk together chicken broth, vinegar, mustard, sugar and garlic. Adjust sugar to taste.
- Slowly add olive oil while whisking rapidly, adjust quantity of oil for desired consistency. Additional dressing can be stored in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Add chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place potatoes and asparagus in a large bowl. Top with red onion slices and bacon. Drizzle just enough dressing over salad to lightly coat when tossed. Cover and allow to rest for 30 – 60 minutes. Toss again and check seasoning before serving.