- 2 tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 L / 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (optional)
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 lb cooked chicken
- 1 cup yellow pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email email@example.com or call 519 488 0316
This is a silky and bright chicken soup that can be made in short time with basic ingredients, many of which you may already have in your fridge and pantry. A light soup than can make a moderate lunch or dinner when accompanied with a humble sandwich or hearty salad.
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil on medium-high. Add the carrots, celery and green onions, toss
together to sauté until softened but not brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook for another minute.
- Add broth, bay leaves and oregano, increase heat to bring to a boil. Once the liquid has come to a rolling boil, add the rice and stir. Add chicken and yellow pepper, let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. While whisking add 2 ladles of broth from the cooking pot to temper eggs. When fully combined, add the sauce to the pot and stir. Remove from the heat and serve.