Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 lb/454 g small pasta, such as macaroni or orecchiette
- 1 litre milk (2% or homogenized is best)
- 1/2 onion (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 to 3 black peppercorns (optional)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups + 1/2 cup grated cheeses
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
It’s not hard to make a good mac ’n cheese. This recipe allows you to control the mix of cheese you like, but my recommendation is to use at least 3 cups of cheddar. The recipe also includes instructions on infusing the milk with onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. While it adds a nice dimension to your sauce, it’s not necessary, you can skip this step and use cold milk. Keeping in mind it will take longer for your sauce to thicken. Once you’ve mastered the base recipe, experiment with additions like chopped ham, broccoli, cauliflower or my personal fave, chopped pickled jalapeño. For the topping, use whatever appeals to you the most: more cheese, bread crumbs, panko, or my choice, potato chips!
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, and if using onion, bay leaf and peppercorns; bring to a simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. Remove onion, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, generously add salt. Cook pasta to an al dente finish following
the directions on the pasta. Drain well and lightly drizzle with oil.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot and whisk in flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes. While whisking, add the milk and cook until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cheese, powdered mustard, and cayenne until fully incorporated. Fold in cooked pasta, season with salt and pepper, if needed. Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Combine crushed potato chips with 1/2 cup grated cheese. Evenly sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is nicely browned.