Bakwan Sayur (Indonesian Vegetable Fritters)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp cloves garlic, grated
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
There isn’t much to stay about these fritters except that they are delicious. My dad would make these seemingly at the most random times. Suddenly on a regular Saturday afternoon, a plate of these fried delights would be out on the kitchen counter next to the bottle of plum sauce ready for whomever was passing and might need a little nosh. We eat them hot or at room temperature. Depending on my mood, I may add a pinch of ground coriander, turmeric, or cayenne pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, rice flour, salt, sugar, and ground pepper. Add garlic, cabbage, carrot and green onions, mix well to coat vegetables.\
- Add water and egg. Mix until the batter is well combined and there are no lumps. Place batter in the fridge for 10 to 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan. Remove batter from the fridge. Use a small scoop or ladle, drop batter into hot oil. Fry, turning once, until the fritter is crispy and golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel. Repeat.
- Serve your fritters with sweet chilli sauce, Sambal Oelek, or plum sauce.