- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 slices of white cheddar
- 4 ciabatta buns
- 4 pieces of cooked local bacon
- 4 leafy lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of tomato
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef and pork with a spatula until just mixed together. Form into 4 patties. Using your thumb, make a wide indentation in the middle of the patty. (This will allow for the patties to cook evenly.)
- Preheat an outdoor grill. Season the patties, lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill the patties for 4 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip the patties and continue to cook until the meat is completely cooked through. (Note: because the burger contains both beef and pork, the patties must be thoroughly cooked.)
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty.
- Grill ciabatta buns until light grill marks appear. Place the cooked bacon on the grill to warm through.
- To assemble, place the lettuce leaves on the bottom half of each ciabatta, followed by the tomato slices.
- Add the burger patties followed by the pieces of bacon, folded in half.
- Top with remaining bun halves and enjoy.