Boerenkool (Dutch kale and potatoes)
- 6-8 medium potatoes (floury, e.g., Russet)
- 2 cups (approx.) Kale, cooked chopped, with liquid
- 2 tbsp** Lard or butter
- Salt ½ tsp or better
- Black pepper, fresh ground to taste
- 2lbs (approx.) Smoked sausage
- Kale and potatoes quantities as above
- 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp or a bit better Salt
- 1 cup (approx.) Leek or onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Pinch Chili pepper flakes
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh herbs (e.g., thyme, rosemary, bay leaf)
- 1 cup Walnuts, toasted
Prepared by Doreen Kool
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place on bottom of pan. Use a pan that has a fitted lid.
- Spread cooked kale or tin/jar of kale, including liquid, onto potatoes in pan. If using fresh kale, clean, trim and slice finely before cooking.
- Add approximately 1 cup water to nearly cover the potatoes—you do not need much as there is also liquid in the kale. Add salt.
- Top with smoked sausage. Prick the sausages with a fork to avoid them splitting and to allow the juices to season the pot.
- Cover and bring to boil (around 10 minutes on high heat). Turn heat down and continue cooking until potatoes are more than done (around 30 minutes on low heat).
- Remove sausages and drain, reserving some of the liquid. Mash potatoes and kale together, mixing well. Add lard or butter and mix through until melted. Use reserved liquid if mixture seems dry.
- Top each serving with sausage. Add black pepper to your own serving.
* Use an approximately equal amounts of kale and potatoes. The ratio of kale and potatoes is to your taste. More kale may mean better health benefit, but more potatoes may be your preference.
**Fat is an essential ingredient. Dutch farmers relied on the fat content in this midday meal to keep them going.
Follow directions above. Add bay leaf to pot, if using. While the kale and potatoes are cooking, sauté onions along with herbs in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Toast walnuts. When kale and potatoes have been cooked and mashed, stir in onion/leek/garlic/herb mixture. Stir in chili pepper flakes. Top with walnuts and serve.