Charred Broccoli Frittata
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cream (heavy or whipping)
- 1 tbsp doenjang (fermented soybean paste)
- 1/2 tsp gochugaru (red chilli pepper flakes)
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli, in small florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fish sauce
Once you learn the template recipe of a frittata, you can play around with your fillings. For every six eggs: 1/4 cup heavy cream, 2 cups total of vegetables and/or meat, and 1 cup cheese (optional).
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
Frittata is like a family-sized omelette, but no judgement if you take this frittata down without sharing. Traditionally, frittatas include cheese, but I promise you will not miss it here. The flavours in this recipe are bold and moreish; I found myself going back for seconds and thirds. Enjoy with a green salad or a nice bowl of soup. Serve with a dab of hot sauce and/or ketchup.
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, doenjang, and gochugaru. Set aside.
- In an ovenproof frying pan or cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil and sesame oil over medium high until is begins to smoke. Add broccoli to pan and quickly toss in oil to cover. Let it fry undisturbed until broccoli starts to char, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn pieces over to fry the other side until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and add butter to the pan, let melt then return to medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, let cook for about 1 minute to soften, then add fish sauce and toss to coat vegetables. Let fry for another minute or two.
- Add egg mixture to your pan, making sure all the vegetables and evenly distributed. Cook for a minute or two until you see the eggs at the edges of the pan beginning to set. Place frittata in oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until eggs are set.