Chickpea Coconut Stew with Greens
- Preferred greens: Kale / Swiss Chard or spinach
- Tomatoes or Can of diced tomato
- Green chilli
- Coconut milk
Pantry & Spices
- Can of Chickpeas / boiled Chickpeas
- Olive/ Vegetable oil
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Bay leaf
- Cinnamon stick
- Star anise
- Black cardamom
- Black pepper
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Garam masala
- Red chilli powder
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
Coconut chickpea stew curry with greens
- In a large pan add 2 tbsp ghee and 2 tbsp oil at medium heat. Once oil is hot add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 1 star anise, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 black cardamom and ½ tsp asafoetida.
- Stir and add 1 large chopped onion (1 cup of chopped onion), chopped and crushed 1 tbsp garlic, ½ tbsp ginger and 1 or 2 green chilli.
- After 2 to 3 mins, add 1 tbsp turmeric, coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, and Garam masala and saute at medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Note: make sure the spices do not burn, keep mixing it with spatula.
- Once you can smell the fragrance of spices add 1 can of chopped tomato and little bit salt.Cook for 7 to 8 mins in between keep stirring making sure, it is not sticking at the bottom.
- Once you see a little bit of oil separating add 2 cans of chickpeas or home cooked chickpeas and cook for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add 1 or 2 cans of coconut milk and taste for salt, add as per taste. At this point you can add your preferred greens like Swiss chard, kale or spinach.
- Note: As per your green, you might have to add it earlier to give enough time to get cooked. For example: For kale or swiss chard, you might want to cook the chopped stem earlier in the process and leaves at the end.
- After adding greens, let it simmer for a couple of minutes, squeeze a lemon and serve with either Naan/ Roti or Rice!