Classic Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Hannah Howey, @sweetspiritsandsprinkles
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter. Turn the mixer to low speed and start adding the icing sugar in small increments, making sure each addition is thoroughly incorporated before adding the next.
- If the icing starts getting to thick to continue mixing, gradually add the heavy cream or milk, one tablespoon at a time. The liquid helps to create a desirable consistency.
- Once the mixture is well integrated add the vanilla. The icing should be dense and a light yellow in colour. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and continue mixing for 5-10 minutes until light and fluffy. If the icing it too thick, it will clump around the mixer paddle. You may need to pause half way through to scrape down the sides.
- Prepare for a little kitchen magic: as the icing comes together it will turn from yellow to white. It will also expand in volume and hold stiff, firm peaks.