Coconut Pandan Rice Pudding
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup arborio rice (or jasmine or short grain rice)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 pandan leaf
- Pinch of salt
- Water (as needed)
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
Rice pudding is such an easy solution for dessert – especially when you are looking for something gluten-free and vegan. This recipe uses pandan leaf (which you can find in the freezer section of most good Asian grocery stores), but you can also use the bottled extract. Or substitute with vanilla.
- Place the coconut milk, sugar, pandan leaf and salt in a medium pot. Slowly bring to a light boil on medium-high heat, let simmer for 2 minutes. Discard the pandan leaf.
- Stir rice into milk mixture and lower heat to medium-low. Let cook, stirring every few
minutes to avoid rice sticking to the pot. Rice will start to soften and break down and thicken the mixture.
- The rice pudding is ready when rice is soft and has a risotto like texture. If the mix is very thick, but the rice is not yet cooked, add a 1/4 cup of water and continue to cook. Repeat until rice is cooked.
- Garnish with fresh fruit like mango or kiwi and toasted coconut flakes.