Dal Tadka (Lentils w/ Rice)
- Cilantro : ½ bunch
- Onion: 1 large
- Tomatoes: 2 to 3 roma
- Lemon: ½ lemon juice
- Green chilli (optional): 1
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt (Optional)
Pantry & Spices
- Olive/ Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 2 tsp
- Salt : as per taste
- Black pepper: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida: ½ tsp
- Turmeric: 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala: 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 ½ tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Dry Chilli: 2 chillies
- Cinnamon bark
- Bay leaves: 2 to 3 leaves
- Lentils: Toor Dal (Split pigeon peas) – 1 cup
- Chana Dal (Split desi Chickpeas) – 1 cup
- Masoor Dal (Red Split lentils) – 1 cup
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
- In a large bowl add all of those dry lentils and wash 3 times, add 3 cups of water and let it soak for 2 hours.
- After 2 hour in a pressure cooker or in a large pot add soaked lentils, double the amount of water, add salt, turmeric, and coriander powder.
- Cook for 4 whistles or for 35 mins in the pot until lentils are soft.
- In another pan add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee, once it is hot add cumin seeds, asafoetida, onion, 1 chopped green chilli. Sautee for a couple of minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
- Cook for 5 to 8 mins till you see oil starts separating a little.
- Add onion tomato mixture into the lentils and mix it up.
- Cook for another 5 to 8 mins, add 1 tsp sugar.
- Add ½ lemon juice, add chopped cilantro and serve it with rice.
** You can also make cucumber, tomato and onion salad with salt lime and black pepper with some papad as well.