- 3 medium purple beets
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup of diced kielbasa sausage
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut, chopped
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cup red or green cabbage, shredded
- 4 cup of beef or vegetable broth
- 2 cup of tomato juice
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream for garnish
- Trim the ends from the beets and peel with a vegetable peeler. Grate the beets using a box grater or food processor. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or small stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until light golden. Add the garlic, caraway seeds and cabbage and cook stirring constantly until the cabbage starts to soften.
- Add the broth, tomato juice, beets, carrots and sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beets and carrots are tender. Add the sauerkraut.
- Add half of the dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer a further 3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and remaining fresh dill. Enjoy!
To make this soup vegetarian, leave out the kielbasa and use vegetable broth.