Fried Yam & Fish
- Vegetable oil
- jerk seasoning
- Tri colour sweet pepper
- F.A.M Hot sauce
Fried Yam & Fish – A dish that is enjoyed in (Nigeria & Ghana) and other African countries.
1. Blend 3 large seasonal tomatoes season with salt, and hot sauce (for dipping yam) and put aside.
1. Slice the yam, peel off the skin, then cut into batons, fries, or dice into cubes.
2. Cut into a bowl of cold water to avoid discoloration of the yam if exposed to air.
3. Wash then soak the cut yam in cold water for at least 30 minutes. If you don’t have time to soak the yam, move to the next step immediately. Drain the yam, and season with salt.
4. Place a deep pot on the stove on medium heat. Add vegetable oil into the pot, and heat.
5. Fry Yam for 12-15 minutes Fry yam slowly till the inside is tender and the outside crispy. Use a slotted spoon to pack the fried yams out of the oil and put on a paper towel covered plate. Serve and enjoy.
1. Wash whole or Tilapia filet with lemon juice
2. Pat dry with paper towel
3. Season fish with salt, pepper, jerk seasoning (to taste)
4. Place Filet in oven for 400-425 F for 15 minutes (depending on size if fish it may need more time to cook)
BOIL AND FRY YAM METHOD
This method involve parboiling the yam before frying. With this method, you don’t add water to the oil to fry, and frying is quicker than the other method.
- Slice the yam, peel, and cut into batons or any shape of your choice. Rinse the yam, drain and add the yam pieces into a pot.
- Add water to the pot to cover the yam pieces by at least 1 inch, and add salt to it. Cover the pot, place the pot on medium heat and boil the yam till it’s almost soft but firm. Drain the water and leave the yam in the colander for 5-10 minutes to cool.
- Put a pot or frying pan on medium heat. Add oil, and heat it. When heated, add in the yam and fry till it’s crispy outer and fluffy inside. This takes about 6-8 minutes.
HOW LONG TO FRY YAM? This depends on the size the yam is cut into, the temperature of the oil, and the method used in frying. If frying without boiling first, the time it takes to fry yam is about 12-15 minutes. (If pre boiled, it takes 6-8 minutes)
- Yam is fried when the inside is soft and fluffy, and the outer crisp. You can check this by taking a piece of the yam, and cutting into it.
- Also, dry yam will take longer to fry than new yam. Dry yam will benefit from soaking it in water before frying.