Green Bean and Freekeh Salad
- ¼ cup cracked freekeh, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or finely grated
- 2 to 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. each olive oil and tahini
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- ½ cup sweet orange pepper cut in strips
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup each cilantro leaves, dill sprigs, mint leaves and flat leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook the freekeh in a large saucepan of salted simmering water until al dente, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a small pot of salted boiling water, blanch the green beans, about 4 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Lay out on a clean kitchen towel to dry.
- Whisk the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, maple syrup and 1 tsp water in a large bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste and add salt as needed.
- Add the cooked, cooled freekeh and green beans, tossing gently to coat. Add in the grape tomatoes and sweet pepper. Add the chopped walnuts, all the herbs and the Aleppo pepper, tossing gently.
- Serve topped with extra chopped walnuts and herbs.