Green Beans w/ Shallot Dill Vinaigrette
- 1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pickled red onion and crispy shallots for garnish
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email email@example.com or call 519 488 0316
This became an instant it in my house. Normally I stay away from any salad that required parboiled vegetables because I’m lazy, but for this salad, it’s worth the effort. I like to use a mix of green and yellow beans, but if you can only fine one or the other, don’t worry. You likely won’t need all of the dressing to coat the beans; you and save the leftover in the fridge for about a week or two. Serve this with your favourite grilled meats and fish.
- Generously salt a large pot of boiling water and let it return to a rolling boil. Add beans to the pot and stir to ensure each stalk is covered by water. While beans are cooking, add about two cups of ice cubes to a bowl large with water. Bean will cook for 4 minutes, or until fork tender. Using a tongs, remove beans and place into ice water. This will shock the beans and immediately stop the cooking process. Let sit in the cold water until fully cooled (about 5 minutes). Drain bean and let dry before using.
- In blender, add red wine vinegar, white sugar, dill, garlic, shallot, and dijon and blend until smooth. While blending, in a light and gentle stream, pour in the olive oil. Once vinaigrette is fully emulsified, turn off blender and taste. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Toss beans with enough dressing to generously coat. Top with pickled red onion and crispy