Jill’s Table Mushroom, Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp. (25 ml) vegetable oil or butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 cups diced specialty mushrooms
- 8 cups (2L) stock (either chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) fresh chopped thyme
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil or butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the celery and carrot and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the celery is tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and thyme. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the barley. Simmer for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
To cook barley:
For each cup of barley, cook in 4 cups (1L) of water.
Rinse the barley. Bring the water and barley to a boil. For pearl barley, cook for about 25 minutes. For pot barley about 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain. 1 cup of uncooked barley will yield about 3 and a half cups. It freezes well, so it can be added to soups at a later date.