Kimchi Fried Noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup kimchi, finely chopped (plus saved juice)
- 2 tbsp gochujang (medium spice level)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lb udon noodle (follow package instructions for preparation)
- 2 cups mushrooms (preferably shimeji or shiitake)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- green onion, finely sliced (optional)
- cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Melt half of the butter in a large sauté pan.
- Add kimchi and gochujang, cooking until kimchi is soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Add broth and reserved kimchi juice to pan and let simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and noodles to sauce with remaining butter.
- Cook, tossing often, until the sauce thickens and coats the noodles. If necessary, season with salt.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro, green onion, and toasted sesame seeds.