“Kitchen Sink” Carrot Cake
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 3 ½ cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ½ cup dried pineapple, diced
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Bowls of various sizes
- 9×13 inch baking pan
- Can opener
- Electric handheld whisk
- Tasting spoons
- Dish towel
The recipe is brought to you by Growing Chefs! Ontario - a registered charity based in London, Ontario.
This amazing carrot cake has EVERYTHING in it, and is adapted from King Arthur Flour.
- Gather your mise en place; get together all of the equipment needed for the recipe and gather your ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Mix melted butter with oil.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Mix together carrots, coconut, pumpkin seeds and pineapple.
- Slowly whisk oil mixture into egg mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring to create a smooth batter.
- Stir carrots, coconut, pumpkin seeds, and pineapple into batter.
- Smooth batter into pan, spreading it to the edges.
- Bake cake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool completely.
- To make frosting, combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beat well.
- Add the cream in small increments until the frosting is a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.