Kookoo(Kuku) Sibzamini; Potato Patties
- 4-6 medium potatoes cooked-peeled
- 3-4 large eggs
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- vegetable oil
- option to add herbs to the mix: chives; parsley, mint.
Prepared by Polina Shadman ; Instagram @polinas_nostalgic_treats_
- In a large bowl grate or mash the peeled potatoes.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, before adding to the grated potatoes, along with turmeric, dried mint, salt, and pepper. Mix all ingredients well. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 5-6 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the oil. Or you can make small patties, and flatten them in an oval or round shape.
- Fry potato patties on both sides until golden brown.
- In general, Iranians like food more on the sour side, adding dried lime, verjuice, or lemon juice to soups and stews or serving Torshi (pickled vegetables) on the side of meals. However there are some sweet dishes here and there, Kookoo Ghandi is one of them.
- Kookoo Ghandi is an Esfahani sweet version of kookoo Sibzamini similar to Pancakes.
- It has the same ingredients as a simple Kookoo except for the herbs and salt which have been substituted with saffron, and once the Kookoo is fully cooked. a syrup made of 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1 tbsp brewed saffron is poured over it to make it sweet like pancakes.