Maple Glazed Root Vegetables
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 small turnip
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 golden beet, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cutting board
- Chef’s Knife
- Measuring spoons
- Bowls of various sizes
- Small pot
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Tasting spoons
- Dish towel
The recipe is brought to you by Growing Chefs! Ontario - a registered charity based in London, Ontario.
Gather your mise en place; get together all of the equipment needed for the recipe and gather your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Pick the sage leaves off the stem. Cut the sage by rolling the leaves tightly and then cutting with scissors.
- Peel the turnip. Cut the turnip into 1 centimeter cubes.
- Cut the sweet potato in 1 centimeter cubes.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 1 centimeter cubes, or if too small, cut into rounds.
- Peel and cut the golden beet into 1 centimeter cubes.
- Cut the potato into 1 centimeter cubes.
- Peel the celery root with a knife and cut into large rounds. Cut the celery root rounds into 1 centimeter cubes.
- Toss all vegetables in 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay out vegetables in a single layer. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the vegetables in the preheated oven. Set a timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, take off the foil and flip over the vegetables.
- Cover again and set a timer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small pot, combine the butter, maple syrup, rosemary, and butter. Place the pan over medium-low heat and allow the butter to melt. Once the butter has melted and the syrup begins to bubble, turn off the heat. After 15 – 20 minutes, check the doneness of the vegetables. If soft, pour the mixture over the vegetables and mix around so all the vegetables are coated.
- Place back in the oven uncovered for 3-5 minutes. Allow to cool 1-2 minutes before enjoying!