Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice)
- 4 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups jasmine rice, cooked and cold
- 2 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Salt, to taste
For kecap manis, use Bango or ABC brands; both are from Indonesia. They are often found in the
Asian grocery store. There is no substitute.
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
There is a reason every visitor to Indonesia falls in love with this dish. We ate this so regularly during my childhood that I was surprised to learn later that ‘nasi’, as some simply refer to it, was appointment cooking for some families. To me, it’s a routine dish, a deliciously comforting result of my Dad’s ingenuity with leftovers, his mystic-like skill with a wok, and of course, his requisite for quality kecap manis. Serve along side with satays, or top with a crispy fried egg!
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil and fry shallot, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant. Add carrot and celery, cook 2 minutes until softened. Toss and stir ingredients frequently to avoid burning.
- Add rice and gently toss to coat with oil until glossy. Let fry for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Be gentle but swift in your motions to avoid breaking your rice grains.
- Drizzle kecap manis then add tomato paste, sambal oelek, and frozen peas. Fold rice until evenly
covered with sauces. Sprinkle fish sauce then quickly fold into rice.
- Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes, occasionally stirring to avoid catching and sticking to your wok or pan.
Finally, fold in spring onion and butter until fully incorporated. Pull from heat and serve!