Ontario Cherry Tomato Salad with Garlic toasts
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 container (200 g) mini bocconcini cheese
- 2 pints ripe cherry or grape tomatoes or a combination of yellow pear and red cherry tomatoes
- 1 baguette, sliced into approx 24 thin slices
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) soft butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) parmesan cheese
- In the bowl of a food processor make the dressing by combining the garlic, jalapeno pepper, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the bocconcini. Place in a small bowl, and pour the dressing over the cheese, stirring gently to make sure it is well coated. This can be done up to 8 hours in advance of serving. Up to one hour before serving, stir in the cherry tomatoes, and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- To make the toasts, combine the butter with the garlic and Parmesan cheese. Spread each piece of baguette with garlic butter. Just before serving, place the toasts under a hot broiler and broil until golden brown. Place hot toasts around edge of salad. Serve.