- Cilantro : ½ bunch Chopped
- Onion – 2 large
- Potato – 2 large sliced round
- Green chilli – 1 (optional)
- Garlic – 3 cloves crushed
- Lemon- 1 to 2 juiced
Pantry & Spices
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Chickpea flour: 3 cups approx
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Turmeric powder
- Kashmiri chilli powder
- Garam masala
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
- Chop 2 onions lengthwise in a bowl, add 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp kashmiri pr preferred red chilli powder and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Once you see water dissipating, add ½ tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp sugar, half of chopped cilantro, and squeeze ½ lemon juice.
- Optional: add chopped green chilli for a more spicy level.
- Add ½ cup of Chickpea flour and 2 tbsp of cornstarch mix all together. We are making sure that you can see onions and do not get too much floury batter.
- Once mixed as per desired consistency, taste a little bit for salt and add salt if needed.
- Batter is ready for deep frying at 350 F oil until it turns golden brown.
- Peel 2 large potatoes and slice them round (I have used mandolin for my recipe) and leave it in the water while preparing the batter.
- In another bowl add 1 cup of Chickpea flour and 3 tbsp corn flour, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 ½ tsp coriander, 1 ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, 1 lemon juice, crushed garlic and remaining chopped cilantro.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix together, if the batter looks thick it is okay.
- Drain potatoes from water and add in the batter and mix altogether. The mixture will become a little bit thinner if not add ¼ cup water if only needed.
- Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Deep Fry each sliced potato at 350 F oil temperature until golden brown.
Serve Pakoras with Yogurt Mint Coriander Chutney or Tamarind Chutney or Ketchup or all of the above.