Parsnip & Apple Cider Soup w/ Blue Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 apples, diced
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup 35% cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Blue cheese to garnish
- Walnuts to garnish
- Cutting board
- Chef’s Knife
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot
- Bowls of various sizes
- Tasting spoons
- Dish towel
The recipe is brought to you by Growing Chefs! Ontario - a registered charity based in London, Ontario.
- Gather your mise en place; get together all of the equipment needed for the recipe and gather your ingredients.
- Peel the parsnips and slice into pieces roughly 1-2 centimeters thick.
- Cut the onion in half, from root to tip. Peel off the first layer of skin, and cut off the tip of the onion. Make slices about 1 cm apart in the onion from the tip almost to the root, leaving the root intact to hold the onion together. Turn the onion and slice across your slices, dicing the onion.
- Remove the peel from the garlic, and grate with a rasp. Alternatively, you can mince the garlic finely with a chef’s knife.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the stem and roughly chop with a chef’s knife.
- Cut around the core of the apple. Discard the core, and dice the apple into rough cubes about 3-4 centimeters in size.
- Measure out all remaining ingredients.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and preheat over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add parsnips, onion, garlic thyme and apples. Cook this over medium heat until it begins to lightly brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add apple cider and vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes, until parsnips have softened all the way through. Remove from heat.
- Transfer in small batches to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add 35% cream and nutmeg.
- Taste and check for seasoning, adding salt as desired.
- Serve hot and top with crumbled blue cheese and toasted walnuts.