Pear and Ginger Cake
- 2 cups diced pears (do not peal)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped crystalized ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a round 8-inch (20cm) pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pears, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the sugars, ginger, cloves, oil and nuts.
- Sprinkle flour, baking soda and salt evenly over top and stir to combine.
- Add the raisins or dates and stir.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Thinly slice each pear quarter, leaving the narrow end intact. Fan each quarter out and decorate the top of the cake.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.