- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large cooking onion, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and cored and cut into half inch strips
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, seeded and cored and cut into half inch strips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers
- salt and pepper (or chili flakes) to taste
- In a large skillet or medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Cook the onion until it is soft and starting to colour.
- Add the peppers to the onion mixture and cook stirring frequently until they are tender. Add the garlic and tomatoes and warm through.
- Add the vinegar and capers. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper (or chili flakes) to taste.
How to Use Pepperonata:
Serve it with grilled meats, poultry or fish. In the featured photo, top pieces of toasted baguette with mild goat’s cheese and spoon pepperonata on top for a delicious appetizer.