- 1 lb matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp dark soy or 1/2 light soy
- 1 star anise, optional
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email email@example.com or call 519 488 0316
These Vietnamese-inspired pickles are delicious on sandwiches and in salads. If you can’t find store bought matchstick carrots, simply cut into thin batons or rounds. Give your pickles at least a day to rest in the fridge before you use them, the flavour will be worth the wait.
- Place carrots in a colander. Sprinkle 2 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt and toss carrots until coated. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Lightly squeeze excess water from carrots and pack in jar or container, placing star anise about half way up the container. Leave about 1/4” inch of space at the top of the jar.
- In a small pot, combine 1/4 cup sugar, vinegars, water and soy sauce. Slowly stir to dissolve sugar are you bring the brine to a simmer. Let cook for about a minute then pour over the carrots. Ensure vegetables are completely submerged in the water.
- Allow to cool at room temperature then place in the fridge and let rest for at least 24 hours.