Pineapple Fried Rice
- 4 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp fermented soy bean paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped
- 4 cups jasmine rice, cooked and cold
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Thai basil, roughly torn
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email email@example.com or call 519 488 0316
This dish is loosely inspired by the Thai dish, Khao Pad Sapparod. This version can easily be made vegan with the omission of fish sauce and egg.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. While heating, beat eggs with soy sauce. Add to hot oil and swirl to coat wok or pan, letting the egg puff and set. Quickly flip and chop into small pieces using your wooden spatula. Remove egg from wok and reserve.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot, quickly add onion, ginger, curry paste and soy bean paste. Toss to cook and become fragrant, about one minute. Add water and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add bok choy, fry for 2 to 3 minutes and allow to get a little charred. Add rice, tossing gently and quickly to coat. Let fry for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in brown sugar and curry powder, toss to ensure rice is uniformly seasoned. Drizzle over fish sauce and toss rice again. Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in pineapple and bell pepper. Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes, occasionally stirring to avoid catching and sticking to your wok or pan. Fold in reserved egg, cashews, spring onion and basil until fully incorporated. Remove from heat and serve straight away!