Poha & Masala Chai
15 minutes | 25 minutes
- Cilantro: roughly ½ cup chopped
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes
- 1 – hot pepper chillies (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 1 small chunk of ginger
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- 1 Pomegranate (optional)
- 1 to 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
Indian Snacks & Indian Grocery Items
- Sev (thinnest)
- Natural peanuts or unsalted roasted peanuts
- Thick Poha: 4 cups
- Any preferred Milk: 3 cups
Pantry & Spices
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
- Brown or black mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Asafoetida: ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 4 to 5 tbsp (3 tbsp for tea & 2 tbsp for poha)
- ** adjust sugar as per your choice level
- Cardamom: 3 to 4 pods
- Chai spice (optional)
- Cinnamon: 1 stick
- Olive oil / Veg oil/ peanut oil / Canola Oil: 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Indian tea leaves (preferred black tea leaves) : 2 to 3 tbsp
- My prefered tea brand is “Wagh Bakri”
Prepared by Himadri Vyas
Indian Masala Chai
- In a large sauce pot at medium to high flame, add 3 cups of water and let it come to boil. Add 3 tbsp tea leaves, crushed cardamom, ginger, cinnamon stick and let it come to boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, lower the heat to medium (6 to 7 knob), add sugar, and let it boil for another 2 to 3 minutes. Once you can smell all the spices and tea is darkened as per your preference lower to low medium and add milk.
**Note: If you prefer thicker tea then add more milk, can substitute with any other kind of milk, else add 2 cups of 1% or skim milk)
- Keep stirring at medium flame for another 3 minutes, make sure it does not burn the milk and stick to the bottom.
- Once it is all mixed and darkened the colour of tea, turn off the burner and sift through the tea strainer into cups and serve hot with any snacks or food.
- In a strainer add dry poha flakes and run under the water for 2 mins and make sure there is no dry poha left, let it strain until the end and let all water come out from poha. After a few minutes poha should be soft but not too soft.
- In a Saute pan or wok add 2 tbsp olive oil / veg oil and let it get hot at medium flame, once the oil is heated add mustard seeds, cumin seed, curry leaves and asafoetida.
**Note: be careful as mustard seeds will pop.
- Add half chopped onion and saute until translucent, add peanuts and chillies.
- From here there are two ways you can add potatoes.
- Boiled Potatoes: if you have boiled potatoes then add those and cooking time will be less than the other method.
- Raw Potatoes: if you add small, chopped potatoes then just cook more until potatoes are cooked.
- Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, and cumin powder and add potatoes if potatoes are boiled then cook for 3 to 4 minutes, else cook for 10 to 15 min approx until potatoes are cooked.
**Note: Just make sure they do not get stuck at the bottom or burn, add water if cooking raw potatoes.
- Add sugar, mix and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the poha, additional salt if needed and mix all together at low to medium flame.
- Once mixed all squeeze the ½ to 1 lemon juice mix and serve with sev, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes and coriander at the top.