Pot Roast with Vegetables
- 4 pounds blade roast
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1-28 ounce can of plum tomatoes
- 1 cup of red wine
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound of mini white potatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large ovenproof Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat and brown the roast on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan, and cook until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook further for a minute.
- Return the roast to the Dutch oven and add the thyme, tomatoes and red wine.
- Cover and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Half way through the cooking time, turn the meat over.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, potatoes and half of the parsley. Cover and return to the oven for a further hour, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Remove the roast to a plate. With a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables to a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stove top and over medium-high heat, reduce the sauce slightly, stirring frequently and breaking the tomatoes up with a spoon.
- Remove thyme sprigs and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Slice the beef and place on a platter along with the vegetables. Pour sauce over top and garnish with the remaining parlsey.
Note: For a thicker gravy,-like sauce, you can stir in 1 tbsp of flour that has been mixed with 2 tbsp of water.