Quick Pickled Red Onion
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (about one cup)
- 2 black peppercorns, optional
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email email@example.com or call 519 488 0316
When I say quick, I mean quick. Minimal effort, a modest amount of patience (about 30 minutes), and you’ll have some tasty pickles on your hand. I love these with tacos, sandwiches and salads.
- Place onion, black peppercorns and bay leaf in a jar or ceramic container.
- In a bowl, whisk sugar and salt in boiled water until dissolved. Stir in vinegars. Pour brine over onions in jar, let them sit at room temperature to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Seal with lid and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Pickled onions will keep for up to 2 weeks.