Quinoa Salad with Beets
makes 10-12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, plus more for dressing
- 4 medium beets, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large, seedless cucumber
- chopped 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes
- halved 1 cup green beans, blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly.
- Place in a medium saucepan with 2 1/2 cups water. Add 1/8 tsp. salt; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until quinoa is tender, 12–15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place beets in a large saucepan; cover with cold water (by about an inch). Add 1 tsp. salt; bring to a simmer. Cook until beets are tender when pierced with a paring knife, 35–45 minutes. Drain; cover with cold water. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in oil. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beets, cucumber, tomatoes, green beans and parsley. Toss in dressing to serve.