Red Lentil & Tomato Soup
30 - 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 2” piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 L vegetable stock†
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped *optional
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
†Substitute:1 bouillon cube + 4 cups of water
Prepared by Kimi Abdullah, co-Founder of Petojo Food & Catering Follow on her on Instagram @kimiabdullah & Tumblr @kimieats Find Petojo Food & Catering on Instagram and Facebook @petojofood For catering inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519 488 0316
- In a large pot with a lid, melt coconut oil over medium heat then fry onion until soft and translucent.
Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and tomato paste, season with salt and pepper, and cook until
soft and fragrant. Be patient to avoid burning your spices.
- Add lentils and coat with your spice paste. Let them fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then add vegetable
stock. Ensure your lentils are fully covered in liquid, if not add water. Bring to a boil, the reduce to
simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, until lentils have broke down and your soup has
become thick and starchy. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend until smooth. Return to low heat on stove and add coconut milk. If
your soup is too thick use extra coconut milk or water until you get your desired consistency. Finish
with fresh cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.