Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion or shallot, minced
- 1” piece of ginger, minced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Thames River Melons Strawberry BBQ Sauce (or ketchup if you don’t have any of ours on hand!)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
Recipe developed & photographed by Alex Chesney, RD
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 piece of minced onion/shallot to test the temperature. Once the onion starts to sizzle, you know it’s time to add the rest!
- Add the remaining onion/shallot and cook until softened, 3 – 5 minutes. Next, add the ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Finally, add all remaining ingredients: rhubarb, water, brown sugar, strawberry BBQ sauce, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, paprika, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until rhubarb starts to soften. As it does, mash together to create a more unified sauce.
- Continue to cook until most of the moisture has evaporated, and the mixture has thickened.
Serve with a veggie, carbohydrate and protein of your choice!
Alex from Thames River Melons topped their chicken meatballs with it and paired with steamed asparagus and mashed potatoes but it would also be delicious on BBQ’d chicken legs, or on pork!