Roasted Beet Crostini
makes 16 crostini
- 1 bunch beets with greens attached, (see Tip)
- 16 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain, cut on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim greens from beets, reserving stems and greens. ‘
- Place the beets in a baking pan, cover with foil and roast until very tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the beets.
- Uncover and let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- While the beets cool, arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake, turning the slices over once halfway through, until toasted but not browned, about 14 minutes.’
- Thinly slice the beet green stems and finely chop the leaves; keep stems and leaves separate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add the greens, vinegar and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender and the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in salt and remove from the heat.
- Peel the cooled beets and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Place 3/4 cup beet pieces, goat cheese and pepper in a food processor and puree until smooth (reserve the remaining beets for another use).
- To assemble crostini, spread about 2 teaspoons beet-cheese spread on each slice of toasted baguette and top with sautéed greens.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, store the beet spread and greens separately in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before assembling.
Tip: Look for bunches of beets with 2 to 3 medium-to-large beets for this recipe. If you have trouble finding beets with greens still attached, use loose beets plus 3 cups finely chopped chard greens and thinly sliced stems.
Per crostini: 82 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 224 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat