Roasted OR Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 3 ears Fresh Ontario sweet corn
- 1 can Black Beans 500ml (rinsed and drained)
- 1 Red sweet pepper (seeded and chopped)
- ½ Small red onion (finely diced)
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely diced)
- 2 Medium field tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- ¼ cup Fresh cilantro (chopped fine)
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin (or more to taste)
- 1 Lime (juice & zest)
- 2 Tbsp. Canola or Olive oil
- 1-2 tsp. Honey
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- (Optional – hot sauce to taste.)
OPTION 1: ROASTED CORN
- Shuck corn, drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat BBQ grill to medium-high heat. Grill corn on all sides until lightly charred, about 6 minutes total.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool until you can handle. (Alternatively, corn may be blanched in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then cooled in ice water before removing kernels.)
- Once cooled, using a sharp knife – cut kernels from cob.
OPTION 2 BEGINS HERE, FRESH CORN SALSA (CONTINUE IF USING ROASTED RECIPE)
- Combine corn, beans, sweet pepper, red onion, jalapeno, tomatoes and cilantro and mix well.
- Whisk together juice & zest from lime, cumin, oil and 1 tsp. of honey. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust sweetness by adding more honey as desired.
- Combine lime/oil mixture with vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let stand for 15-30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh tortilla chips or use as a condiment for burgers and hotdogs!
(This recipe works best with the freshest of corn – frozen corn lacks the flavour and crispness and will leave you disappointed.)