ROASTED GARLIC & MISO SMASHED POTATOES
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. white miso
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lb. medium yellow fleshed potatoes, thoroughly washed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut off top of each head of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves inside. Fold into a piece of foil. Drizzle with oil and water, and season with salt. Roast in oven for an hour, or until the cloves are soft.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out cloves into a medium bowl. Add softened butter and miso and mash together into a paste. Season garlic-miso butter with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Cut potatoes in 1” pieces. Place in a large pot and cover with water by 1″; season generously with salt. Bring water to a boil over medium-high, then reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes from the time water starts to simmer. Drain potatoes and let sit 5 minutes to dry out.
- In reserved pot, bring cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and return potatoes to pot. Add roasted garlic-miso butter mix to pot. Using a potato masher, smash potatoes until smooth; taste and season potatoes with salt.